Yamaha G3 Bass question

D C AL CODA kenhale@dcalcoda.com
Tue, 06 Oct 1998 23:01:03 -0700

At 10:41 AM 10/01/1998 -0700, you wrote:

Hi,

I want to report some of what I have found out. Thanks for all the input.

I believe that the sound is sort of typical of that piano, having been
designed for a certain tone color, which is accentuated when the hammers
get a little old and compacted. This tone color can only be limited, not
eliminated.

The voicing that I performed did not last as long as either the client or
me would have liked.

The nasal tone is more than likely due to the design of the strings and one
person suggested rescaling the bass strings. Another suggested installing a
set of Mapes strings, which have been reported to be a little quieter.

And all the normal suggestions about string level, seat the string on the
bridge

The bottom line is that it will require quite a bit of work and the results
can not be really predicted.

So, we will see how it works out. Break out the dremel tool and #7 sharps!

>I have a Yamaha G3 in my stable of piano clientele. The bass, mostly the
>bichords, has a "nasal" tone quality.

Ken Hale, RPT
Instant e-Delivery now available

PianoDB, PianoDB95, PianoDB97