Wegman grand info needed

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 01:40:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Joe & Penny Goss wrote:

> Richard,
> Be sure to check and see if there is a pin block in this piano!!!!!!!!  No
> kidding if my memory serves me correctly the pins are only about 1 1/4 "
> long and are held in a cast iron plate by friction. They are something else
> to tune as you need to think of the friction vectors of the tuning pin.

There may be a pinblock in this piano, there may not be. That no-pinblock
tuning mechanism was a "better idea" which didn't last. More to the point
is the fact that by no stretch of the imagination--regardless of what
kind of pinblock it might have--was the Wegman anything other than a
lower-quality commercial piano. They went through a succession of own-
ers and at one time were owned by the HC Bay company which was a player-
era company best remembered for building some of the crappiest, el-cheapo
commercial pianos ever made. That goes for their player action, too.

Not all old pianos are created equal: some are worth rebuilding; some are
just worth repairing; some are just worth tuning; and some-- like the
Wegman--just aren't worth anything at all. The wise technician knows the
difference between them.  Direct your attention to an instrument more
deserving of your time and talents.

Les Smith