Keyweights and moment of inertia (Long clarification)

Rob Kiddell atonal@telusplanet.net
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 20:40:20 -0600

> Rob,
>
> In regard to why your keyboard felt easier to play after you moved
> the weights forward, I have another speculation.  When the weights
> are moved forward, they are also reduced.  This reduces the total
> key weight supported at the balance rail.  If the bushing and pin
> alignment is such that a heavier key causes more binding at the
> pin, then perhaps that could cause a heavier feel.  If that were
> the case, it would also increase the difference between down-weight
> and up-weight, so it should be easy to check.
>
> Robert Scott
> Ann Arbor, Michigan

Robert,

	The key weighting was the same as it was with the larger
weights closer to the balance rail; in effect, I re-weighed the
keyboard to give the same up and down-weight measurements, but
accomplished this with less lead overall in the keys. The moment
of inertia problem for the key seems to be cancelled out by the
much greater hammer inertia ratio, and despite the R² (or
thereabouts) increase in inertia based on distance from the balance
pin, the action didn't have that *grunt* you needed to play it
originally when it had more lead in the keys.
	Friction, either at the key bushings, or in the wip and knuckle
geometry were acceptable, and again, the touchweight both before
and after the re-weighing was within spec.
	The real problem seemed that there was excessive lead in the
keys to balance the action, 4-5 ½" leads per key in the bass, 3-4
in the middle, and 0-2 in the top sections. Replacing hammers was
not the solution (they were voiced very well, changing them would
have been a crime!). I had analyzed the action geometry from a
number of angles, and aside from some correction in the
regulation, all the parts seemed as aligned as they could be,
barring parts replacement.
	This was (and still is) a new instrument, and the customer was
complaining of "heaviness" in the action, and touchweight was not
the culprit. Nor were the dampers, as I went through this with her in
her home (playing with and without the dampers). Another problem
I noticed was that the keys made a lot of "thump" when released,
particularly in the bass. When you removed the stack and lifted a
bass key from the keyframe, the bloody key weighed a ton! I've
corrected excessive leading in old grands by changing hammers,
moving capstan lines, and subsequently re-leading keys removing
several leads per key in the process. In this case, I couldn't do
options A (hammer replacement) or B (capstan movement)
because in my opinion, this wasn't the root of the problem. It was
the fact that despite balanced up and down weights, the keys had
lots of lead in (and this is were I am speculating...) the wrong
place. Re-weighing with 3/8" leads farther forward allowed me to
remove one and sometimes two ½" leads near the balance rail.
	Now, don't think I just did all of this without experimenting on
one or two keys first! Or without changing hammers on one or two
notes to see what difference it made!  8-)
	Hammer replacement proved difficult, as all replacement
hammers I had were heavier than the ones on the action, which are
light hammers to start with. Heavier replacements mean more key
lead... n'est çe pas?
	I popped out a ½" lead near the balance rail and experimented
with lighter leads farther along the key. One 3/8" lead between the
front rail slot and the key front cover (drilled into the underside of
the key) proved the most effective. Felt better inertially (there I go
using that darned I-word again!) Key didn't thump on release as
much as its (non-re-leaded) neighbors.
	So, I  proverbially "went for it"... re-leading according to this
method. Removed a coffee-can full of ½" leads, and inserted a
packet of 3/8" leads. Even the action was easier to lift in and out of
my car! 8-)
	In the end, the client was happy (as far as I know from my last
phone call), I seemed to find a difference (or maybe I just wanted to
feel like I had accomplished something), and the action was less
noisy.
	Now, what's all this about R²?

Regards,

Rob Kiddell, RPT