VTD tune-off [long]

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Thu, 08 Oct 1998 19:26:49 -0700 (MST)

Hi Kent:

In my opinion you have made a large mistake in your analysis of what should
be done to tweak a SAT tuning. Below, you mentioned that you had to set the
B2 of the GH1 5.5 cents sharp. That's the wrong way to go to try to fit in
a note with extremely high inharmonicity. You seem to forget that the
high partials are still going to be there no matter where you tune the 3rd
partial or the 4th or the 6ths partial. As you know I have used the RCT
quite extensively just as you have. If one looks only narrowly at a few
partials, he misses the best balance. It is my experience using the RCT
that better control can be had using the 4th partial in the range under
consideration. I long ago quit using the 3rd partials for tuning even though
it would make 6-3 tuning easier in the Bass. From my experience using the
SAT and FAC calculations, I offered an approach for tuning pianos similar
to this one. This was posted on the Ctuner list and the example I used was
from tuning an Acrosonic spinet. Yes, it is true that one will have some
5ths which are on the wide side instead of the narrow, but this gives better
octave and double octave, Octave-5ths, etc.

You made a point of showing that the RCT has something to teach the SAT.
Actually the reverse is true. The FAC tunings on the new SAT III are the
same as on the SAT II or the SAT I. However, the Double Octave Beat control
enables one to tweak notes individually and still maintain a semblance of
the exponential curves. As I have explained before, when you see the
hockeystick type curve at the bottom of the treble bridge, you know that
some
tweaking is going to be in order. I'm afraid you have left the impression
that with the RCT there is no tweaking required. You know quite well that
this is not true. Outside of the Unison, the most consonant intervals are
the Octaves, Double Octaves and the Triple Octaves when the overall
intuneness is considered. When we get hung up on only the 5ths or the 4ths
or the 3rds, any one of these, we miss the boat. Piano tuning is a
compromise from the beginning to the end.The best compromise considers many
relationships. If you were to tune the A#2 and the B2 using the RCT with
no tweaking, the B2 M3rd would be very slow and the A#2 M3rd would be very
fast. Here is a little advice from the SAT experience to the RCT needs. If
you gradually begin adding negative resets as you go down the scale from the
point where the hockey stick shape of the treble bridge begins, you can
smooth out the scale a little better. Since the foreshortened strings in
the hockey stick area have greater inharmonicity, the lower partials  need
to be lowered in order for their higher partials to fit the rest of the
piano better (note that we are no longer using the myopic view of just the
lower intervals). This may come as a shock to some who worry about the 5ths
going on the wide side, or the 4ths being slightly faster, But when music
is listened to, it is the overall intuneness which matters the most.
Musicians do not listen to the piano the same way we tuners do. This is why
musicians listening to the Historical tuneoff last summer chose Bill
Bremmer's MMT tuning over equal temperament. He wisely made his wider
relationships more in tune. It gave his piano a greater sonority.

The Gh1 is a good piano. It has the same inharmonicity mismatch which we
have all seen in such pianos as the Acrosonic spinet, the Wurlitzer spinet,
Kimball spinets, Winter spinets, but, in this case the problem is lower in
the stringing scale. Spinets deal with this problem usually around F3, F#3,
G3, G#3 etc. On the GH1 it climaxes at A#2 to B2. In my opinion, the best
compromise in all of these cases is to lower the notes which have extreme
relative inharmonicity with a slight raising of the upper wound strings at
the stringing break whether it occurs between the Bass bridge and the Tenor
bridge or if the break occurs only on the treble bridge. Usually it is not
necessary to raise the highest wound strings if they lie on the Bass bridge
because here there is a good opportunity to foreshorten the upper Bass
strings which results in a little higher inharmonicity and therefore matches
the lowest plain strings a little better. However, in this case of the GH1
we can see from your data that even though the A#2 has high inharmonicity
for that section of a piano, it still does not match the amount of the B2.

We also note that the inharmonicity of the B2 is more uneven in the lower
partials (very little difference between the 1st and 2nd partials, and then
a big jump to the 3rd partial. Now on the otherhand, there is a smooth
rise of inharmonicity of the first several partials of the A#2, but then
the 5th, 6th and 7th partials are much more alike. This kind of irregularity
is quite common in Bass strings. For the irregularity of the B2, I have
always thought of it as having something to do with the lower tension
of foreshortened strings and bridge end-effect. I think Dean refers to
this as para-inharmonicity.

The above problem has nothing to do with RCT or SAT, but will always require
a little tweaking during the tuning procedure.It is my contention that it's
more easily dealt with using the SAT III Double Octave Beat control. This
feature is given this name because the basis of FAC tunings is in the
control of the double octave. Of course this affects individual single
octaves. The D.O.B. can be invoked anywhere on a note to note basis "on the
fly." Most pianos except the ones mentioned above should have tighter
octaves than the FAC gives (FAC tuning spread was based originally upon the
tuning required for a Steinway D). Since most pianos are smaller, it is wise
to reset the Bass perhaps as much as 1 cent higher beginning at B2, then
gradually erase that correction as you tune lower and lower into the Bass.

The piano under consideration in this post however needs to be gradually
lowered all the way down to B2 and then not lowered at all beginning at
A# and on down. By using the DOB with a plus .1 beat widening beginning
somewhere around E3 and increasing DOB .1 cent for each note or 2, the beat
of the M3rd can be kept up fairly well, the octave will be stretched a
little more than usual, the 4ths will become a little wider, the 5ths will
go to zero and eventually wide, the single octaves will be widened, the
double octave will be widened, the octave 5ths will sound good and the
triple octaves will be more tolerable. This I believe gives a better
balance for this particular piano, but the principles would work on most
any piano.

Kent, since your approach to tweaking was in the opposite direction, perhaps
a tuneoff would be required to determine which way sounds better. However,
having used the RCT and the SAT, I believe the SAT handles it much more
easily.

Jim Coleman, Sr.