refuse or rebuild?

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 19:20:19 EDT

<<
 On the other hand, I was called last week to look at an old, painted upright
 that had been in the basement playroom (untuned) for years.  There were at
 least 10 jacks unglued,  missing bridles,  a minor 3rd below pitch, bridge
 problems and worn parts etc.  for starters.  But the small daughter was
 going to start taking lessons, they weren't going to get a different piano
 until they found out whether the kid "liked piano" and couldn't I please do
 something?

When I get a call like this, I usually tell them that a local dealer (we have
one) can rent a piano to you that has been tuned and regulated.  Then your
sibling can take lessons and practice.  If he or she improves and shows signs
of continuing, chances are you can purchase a better piano where the dealer
will allow part of the rent towards the purchase of one in his store.  If
Johnie or Suzy quits, all you are out is the rent, not having to get rid of an
expensive piano.  Much better than having to play on a cheap or junkie piano
that may or may not force the child to become frustrated because of the poor
condition of the piano.

Food for thot,

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR