drop action, action bracket screw removal

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 19:24:04 -0400

Joe & Penny Goss wrote:

> Frank,
> If you have a small gas torch with a soldering tip, try getting it very hot
> and turn off the gas and applying to the head of the screw. Secondly try
> tapping the screw, with a screwdriver in the slot,
> using a light hammer or other tool.
> Joe Goss
> ----------
> > From: Frank Cahill <fcahill@erols.com>
> > To: pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject: drop action, action bracket screw removal
> > Date: Friday, October 09, 1998 1:07 PM
> >
> > I was working on a Hamilton spinet today.  I needed to remove the
> > drop-action.  Well...I couldn't budge any of the bracket screws that
> > attached the bracket to the paino.
> >
> > Often, these screws are tough to get out, but I could not get even the
> > slightest bit of movement on any of the screws.
> >
> > I tried liquid wrench...no help.
> >
> > I did not have s socket wrench with me, justs screwdrivers and a
> > crescent wrench.  I didn't try too hard with the wrench, for fear of
> > damaging the screw head.
> >
> > I've never had this problem before....and I take lots of drop-actions
> > out of pianos.  Any other ideas other than drilling?
> > --
> >
> > Frank Cahill
> > Associate Member
> > Northern Va

Thanks!  Well, guess what happened. The customer called yeaterday and
decided to loosen the bolts himself.  He did it!

He thanked me for being cautious...after all, it's not my piano.  So,
I'll be picking up the action soon to repin lots of sluggish hammer
flanges.

Seems that the bolts just needed a good hard twist.  I don't carry
socket wrenches with me so, my options were limited. That's ok, he's
happy I can fix his piano now and I learned some new tecniques to loosen
tight bolts!

Thank  you Joe.
--

Frank Cahill