drop action, action bracket screw removal

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 19:27:49 -0400

David ilvedson wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> I read everyone's advice and thought I'd add an experience I had
> just the other day.  A Kimball console with a drifting jack
> center pin.  These pianos are notorious for tight action bracket
> bolts.  I think they use air powered equipment and sink those
> suckers in.  Anyhow I proceed to try to turn the phillips head
> screws out (I really hate phillips heads!)I could turn them a
> little bit but I could see that I was going to bitch up the
> head.  Like Wim had suggested I tried my little handy vicegrip
> on the the head and was able to get one screw finally loose
> enough to remove with the screwdriver.  I lubed up the threads
> with Protek thick lube and turned it back in and out until it
> went in fairly easily.  I proceeded to do this to each screw one
> at a time.  I pulled the action removed the wippen and did the
> repair and reinstalled with the original screws not bitched up a
> bit.
>
> David ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA
>
> > Date:          Fri, 09 Oct 1998 15:07:38 -0400
> > From:          Frank Cahill <fcahill@erols.com>
> > To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject:       drop action, action bracket screw removal
>
> > I was working on a Hamilton spinet today.  I needed to remove the
> > drop-action.  Well...I couldn't budge any of the bracket screws that
> > attached the bracket to the paino.
> >
> > Often, these screws are tough to get out, but I could not get even the
> > slightest bit of movement on any of the screws.
> >
> > I tried liquid wrench...no help.
> >
> > I did not have s socket wrench with me, justs screwdrivers and a
> > crescent wrench.  I didn't try too hard with the wrench, for fear of
> > damaging the screw head.
> >
> > I've never had this problem before....and I take lots of drop-actions
> > out of pianos.  Any other ideas other than drilling?
> > --
> >
> > Frank Cahill
> > Associate Member
> > Northern Va
> >

> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA
> ilvey@jps.net

yeah Dave, I worked on those Kimballs.  I also lube the screws when they
Wurlitzer.  Fortunately, I could extract what was left of the screw.

For the life of me I can't figure out why they made those drop-actions
in the first place.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member