stuck steinway grand keyslip

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 19:42:09 +0000

Check to see if you can move the keyslip back and forth a bit.
Does it separate at the bottom and sides?  If not use a single
edge razor blade to carefully separate the case from the
keyslip.  When finished and have the keyslip in hand then follow
Les' advice to touchup where you had any problems...

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> To Jim's (and Ed's) always good advice, I can only add that if the
> piano was recently refinished, it's possible the keyslip was installed
> before the paint was completely dry. I can understand your reluctance
> to try prying the kepslip for fear of scratching the paint, but never-
> theless, suggest that you consider carrying in your tool kit, several
> colors of the felt-tip, pen-like, paint-touch-up markers sold by com-
> panies like Mohawk, Star and others. Accidents like a dropped tuning
> hammer can occur when you least expect them, and having immediate ac-
> cess to the proper-color touch-up marker in many cases can save your
> you-know-what.  Piano-movers routinely carry these. Then,if a minor
> accident does occur, one mover  distracts the customer, while another
> quickly touches up the scratch.. The black color is also useful for
> touching up sharp keysticks, where uncolored wood shows when an adjacent
> white key is depressed.
>
> Les Smith

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA