Birdcage, more

Phil Bondi tito@peganet.com
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 07:43:27 -0400

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

> I have heard of others that were a 3rd flat.  Anytime a piano is *that* flat,
> you have to suspect a severe structural problem.  Assuming that it has one, an
> attempt at raising it to Standard Pitch might cause more damage and at the
> very least, would not be stable.

..i am in the process right now of bringing back to pitch( or as close as I can )
a Cunningham Player..when I got to the piano 4 months ago, It was exactly a
min.3rd flat..scared the hell out of me..customer told me that the previous tuner
( who he trusted ) never told him how flat the instrument was..BUT..the previous
tuner was "afraid" to change a string on this instrument..so it looks like over
the years wherever A4 was at when the previous tuner got there, that became
Standard Reference Pitch..pretty scary.

..after I picked my jaw up off the floor during my first visit, the customer
agreed to 3 pitch raises over the course of 8 months..i'm at PR#2 right now..i did
a quick chip/pitch raise Monday and on Friday will Fine-tune to -50
Cents..havent't broken any strings and it is slowly but surely coming back to
life..

..there was no way, with a piano this flat, that I would have felt comfortable
doing my standard Pitch Raise procedure for this particular instrument..my fear
was not for stability, rather it was one of possible structural damage caused by
the *sudden* addition of torque, tension, and pressure..

..i treated this one very conservatively..and the customer is happy I did, since
this is his "baby"..it feels like I did this one right..did I?

Phil