Birdcage, more....regarding pitch raises

Jay/Deb Mercier mercier@minnewaska.com
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:59:53 -0500

I agree with Jim regarding pitch raises.  I've heard the common phrase from
the client:  "The last tuner said it will take two tunings to bring the
pitch up to A=440."  I believed this when I first started tuning 5 years
ago, then read Larry Fine's book, and tried performing full pitch raises on
one trip with great results -- and continue to do it this way.

Now I find it tricky to know how much I raise the pitch over A=440 in order
for the pins to settle back to A=440 by the time the pitch raise is
complete.  Many times it will fall into the correct pitch perfectly, but
sometimes I run across an old, stubborn upright where the pins stay where I
bring them up, meaning that I have to lower the pitch after the raise.  And
then there are the pianos that no matter how high (within safe reasoning) I
overextend the pitch, it still needs that second pitch raise - I'm finding
this common on Samicks (but I'm not picking on Samicks).

Is this procedure common/safe with anyone?  What do you do when guessing how
much to overextend the pitch for it to fall back to A=440?

Any feedback is appreciated and thanks in advance!

Jay