2 pedal Yamaha comments from abcpiano

BillBrando@AOL.COM BillBrando@AOL.COM
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 00:28:38 EDT

Your question: Do you mean like Florida or maybe New Orleans???

If we are talking about "outside", then yes. If we are talking about "inside"
where pianos are usually kept, then no. Energy costs are much more in Japan
than in the U.S. As a result, air conditioning in Japan is used much more
sparingly than in the typical U.S. home.

Your question: Does this mean that pianos that have spent a considerable
amount of time in
Miami cannot be shipped to the North East U.S. with out nasty problems
developing???

No, it doesn't mean that. If a piano (or just about anything made out of wood)
is kept in a very moist environment for many years and then moved to a very
dry environment, the wood reacts significantly to the change. The effects on a
piano are usually negative.

You said: If I own a Yamaha grand can I open my windows or must it remain in a
controlled environment.  Better not do an out door concert!?

You can open your windows if you own a Yamaha grand. Must it remain in a
controlled environment? No, but ANY piano does hold up better in a "controlled
environment." (Ask a piano technician.)

You asked: The U.S. has many zones, so which one does Yamaha season for???

Yamaha seasons its North American pianos for dry to very dry conditions,
compared to the seasoning of pianos for Europe and Asia. Why? Because our
pianos hold up much better in the United States by seasoning them this way. We
know from experience. (It is amazing what you learn  during the process of
making nearly 6 million pianos!)

Your said: Calling Yamaha for more propaganda is a waste of time.

It was this comment that got me to jump into this issue. Steve Pearson
responded honestly to Dave Severence's questions in an attempt to help, not to
spread "propaganda".

Yamaha Piano Service staff members know what we know about the "seasoning for
destination" issue:

When Yamaha pianos were first imported to the U.S. in the early 60s, they were
not seasoned as they are today. We repinned hundreds of these pianos. We
replaced nearly as many with cracked soundboards and bridges. Yamaha learned
about "seasoning for destination" the hard way. (We know this from the many
service files we keep on pianos sold in the United States.)

The 20 - 40 year old Yamaha pianos being brought over from Japan today were
seasoned like the ones we brought in during the 60s. These pianos can develop
the same type of problems that  our 60s pianos did. We know, because of the
number of calls we receive each week from unhappy customers that have
purchased a used Yamaha piano made for the Asian market. They call to report
that their piano now suffers from a cracked soundboard, loose tuning pins,
and/or cracked bridges. They expect Yamaha to "take care of the problem" with
their piano. We tell them how sorry we are about their piano and we explain to
them "what we know" about the issue. These customers tell us that they wish
they knew all of this before they purchased the used Yamaha piano.

You said: Let a good independent tech be the judge.  Then enjoy your piano.

I agree, assuming that the technician stands ready to "take care of the
problems" when the piano he judges to be a great buy, develops major problems.

About a month ago, I was talking to a customer that had purchased a used
Yamaha CF concert grand (made for the Asian market). The customer reported
that he purchased the piano a month before and in that short amount of time
the soundboard cracked in 5 different places. According to the customer, one
crack was nearly 4 feet long. I asked the customer why he purchased the piano.
He said that before he purchased the piano, he hired a piano technician to
evaluate the piano. The customer and the technician  went together and looked
at the piano. The technician said it was "a good one" so the customer bought
it.

After the soundboard starting cracking, the customer called the piano
technician and informed the technician of the soundboard cracks. The
technician told the customer that soundboard cracks were a major problem that
could not be repaired. The customer asked the technician what he should do and
the technician said, "Call Yamaha, they will take care of it," and gave the
customer our phone number...

Propaganda?  I don't think so.

Having been a member of the Yamaha Piano Service staff for more than 18 years,
I can tell you that our function has always been to provide truthful
information to technicians, dealers and customers.

I do agree with you on one point. "Calling Yamaha for more propaganda is a
waste of time." You have to look somewhere else if you are looking for
propaganda.

Bill Brandom
Piano Service Manager
Yamaha Corporation of America