Tuning

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@calcna.ab.ca
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 05:40:21 -0600 (MDT)

	Jonathon,

	My suggestion, having made all the mistakes one can make when
trying to learn how to tune, is that you keep on using the 4ths and 5ths
temperament. It is OK to use 3rds and 6ths to keep on track but don't make
them your major emphasis in tuning. If you depend on them too much, you
may resist the hard work of listening to and setting the slow beats.
	I know it is hard to hear the slow beats but you will learn and,
when you learn them, you will have a hearing skill which will enable you
to hear unisons and octaves as well. When you get the 4ths, 5ths, octaves
and unisons right, you will have a piano tuning that everyone will rave
about.
	Paul Brown from Vancouver, recommends using a watch to time the
slow beats accurately and I would agree. Keep going!

	Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta