Tuning

Pianosrv@AOL.COM Pianosrv@AOL.COM
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:03:12 EDT

Jonathan,

The "F" tempermant  as I was taught many tooonings ago.

1. Tune C52   to fork
2. C40 to  C52   beatless
3. F33   to C40  sharp 3 beats per 5 seconds
                                            (test  F-Ab faster than  Ab - C)
4. G35 to C40     flat 4.5 beats per 5 seconds
                                            (test Eb-G slower than Eb-C)
5.  D42 to G35    flat 3.5 beats per 5 seconds
                                             (test G- Bb faster than Bb-D)
6.  A37 to D42    flat 1 beat pr second
                                             (test  F-A slower than F-D)
7.  E44  to A27    flat 3.75 beats per 5 seconds
                                              (test A-C faster than C-E)
COMPARE
3rd F-A 7 BPS   (beats per second)
6th F-D 8 BPS
6th G-E 9 BPS
3rd C-E 10.5 BPS

8.    B39-E44      flat 4 beats per 5 seconds
                                              (test G-B slower than G-E)

COMPARE
G-B  8 BPS
F-D  8  BPS

9.    F#34 to B39     flat 4 beats per 5 seconds
                                           (test D30- F# slower than D30-B )

COMPARE
F#-A    10 BPS
C-E       10.5 BPS

10.   C#41 to F# 34     flat   3+ beats per 5 seconds
                                        (test  F#-A  faster than A-C#)
COMPARE
A-C#     9 BPS
G-E        9 BPS

11. G# 36 to C# 41       flat almost 1 beat per second
                                             (test E32-G# slower than E32-C#

COMPARE
G-B     8 BPS
G#-C   8.5 BPS
A-C#    9 BPS

12. F45 to F33 beatless    (test  F33-G#36 same as G#36to F45)

13. D# 43 to G# 36      flat  3.5 beats per 5 seconds
                                                (test G#-B faster than B-D#)

14. A# 38of of Tempermant

F 33- A#   4 beats per 5 seconds
A#- F45    4 beats per 5 seconds

Now I start on an A=440 so I know that A will be dead on.  starting on C tends
to give you a slightly sharp A.

Tom Ayers
Pianosrv@aol.com