Tuning

Mark Graham magraham@bw.edu
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:22:13 -0400 (EDT)

Jonathan,

I agree that you should eventually aim for a temperament based on all
these intervals at once. I think a good place to start, assuming you're
setting a temperament from F to F, is to learn to recognize the correct
setting of the F to A major third. Once you can nail that, learn the A to
C# rate. If you can set those intervals correctly, you have the framework
for a good temperament, even if you fill in the gaps with fourths and
fifths. Even if you're doing different temperaments, you need to
eventually train your ear to do thirds.

It's actually fun to be able to "nail" thirds, especially when you
remember that it was once predicted, in the days before Dr. White, that it
was too much to ask of tuners. Now we all do it. It just takes ear
training by much repetition and listening.

Mark Graham
Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music
Berea, Ohio