Tuning

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 12:35:16 +0000

Hi Jonathan,
     Bill Bremmer hits it right on the nail.  Tuning a temperament
without using thirds and sixths would likely be pretty hard if not
impossible.  The important thing is that the thirds and sixths increase
at a steady rate.  This may mean an F-A third of about 7.3 bps on a
concert grand or around 5 bps on a Baldwin Hamilton studio, even lower
on smaller pianos.   I don't count beats per second on fifths as it
would take to long to wait for.  Simply listen for pure and shoot for
alittle bit of unclarity on the FC fith.
      If you're not sure if you're fifth is narrow, listen to the note a
major sixth below the lower note with that note of the fifth and compare
to the upper note which should beat alittle slower, assuming that sixth
is wide.  To test a forth, compare the beats formed by the wide Major
third below the lower note to the upper note which should be alittle
faster.  Listening for slow beats on most pianos would be a challenge as
the pitch/tone is very transient, very short, and usually false.  P4 B-E
is about as slow as I might bother counting, about 1 bps.
-Mike Jorgensen

Bill Bremmer wrote