Tuning

Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:23:20 -0500

At 11:25 10/16/98 EDT, JIMRPT@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 10/16/98 7:46:03 AM, kwburton@calcna.ab.ca wrote:>

>	My suggestion, having made all the mistakes one can make when
>trying to learn how to tune, is that you keep on using the 4ths and 5ths
<snip>
>  Jonathon;
<snip>
> Each type of temperament setting has it advantages and
>its disadvantages and when well done will each serve you very well....that is
>a well tuned instrument.

So true, and once you are comfortable with one, learn the other!

To learn another, take all the temperament octave keys out of the piano
except your starting point and maybe the one you use to check the start.
Replace them one by one in your new sequence.  That way you always know
which are done and can be used for checks.

If you are strictly an aural tuner, you'll find that there will be times
when, for any number of reasons, the fifths/fourths are hard to hear (or
like the ETD thread mentioned - wrong anyway). - switch to 3rds/6ths.

Later, boredom may set in when doing bulk tunings. If you have different
sequences which work, varying them eliminates the tedium.

Do mental gymnastics by starting somewhere besides A or C. Comes in handy
if you just replaced a string there. (been there-done that) ET is good for
that.

But... having capitalised those letters...>

says >David ilvedson, RPT:

>>A good way to practice on those three contiguous thirds, F-A,
>A-C#, C#-F, is to set a good F to F octave and adjust the A & C#
>so that all three thirds beat the same.  That's good ear work.
>Then adjust the A and C# down slightly so that the F-A is a
>little slower than the A-C#, which is a little slower than the
>C#-F.  Approximately 7, 9 & 11 beats per second.  As I said in
>the beginning this is ear training practice.

If you get that relationship down, you're well on your way to tuning
Marpurg I. (HT!!) Easy start into what need not be foreign or intimidating
territory.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer 	hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College		(319)-387-1204
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

Music - Communication that exposes us to the work of great minds that were
dissatisfied by the limits of the spoken language - Martin Tolchin