whoa...

Jay/Deb Mercier mercier@minnewaska.com
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 21:30:43 -0500

Get a load of this.

I tuned for a new client a week ago.  Performed a pitch raise and tuning all
in one trip on a 30 year old Gulbransen spinet.  Okay, all done, collected
the money and said "See you in 6 months."  And that was that.

It was a week later that she calls (yesterday) and says that the middle E
sounds funny.  I said "how does it sound funny, in what way".  She then
played the note over the phone.  I couldn't distinguish if the unisons
slipped or not, but decided I'd stop by for a quick re-tune of the E unisons
if needed.

The funny part came next when she says "And listen to this!  Doesn't this
sound out of tune?  It sounds awful."  Nervously, I listened again over the
phone and heard a disonant minor 2nd.  After hearing what she played (middle
E and middle F together), I assumed that she was only striking either the E
or the F and one of the hammers was catching the other in the action.  At
this point I was thinking to myself, "how did this happen within one week?"

After a bit more conversation it turned out to be a first, and a funny
first.  She was playing both keys - E and F together and assuming that they
(a minor 2nd) would sound "in tune" or sound great to her ear.

YYEEEEEEEEOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now how do you explain this one?

Jay