Tuning

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 00:25:12 EDT

<< To:	pianotech@ptg.org

 As I said in my earlier post, I have only been tuning for a short time.
 During this time I have always spent a few moments listening to the intervals
 in the temperament octave to find out how out of tune the piano is.  However,
 I am beginning to think that this is a complete waste of time.  I would like
 to know what the voice of experience says- What do you listen to in the piano
 and for that matter, what do you look for in the piano before you strip it
off
 and start tuning?

 Thanks,
 Jonathan Hoover

I first play the A4 and I usually can tell if the piano is grossly out of
tune.  Then I discuss with my client about doing a pitch adjustment before
fine tuning the piano.  I also check the overall structure of the piano to see
if there are obstructions for tuning the piano such as cracks in the bridges,
old piano 1/2 step or more flat that may will have worn out strings prone to
breakage, etc. Playing condition of the action, does it need bridal straps,
hammers reshape, not enough lost motion causing the hammer to bobble while
tuning.  That is the school of hard knocks.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR