whoa...

D C AL CODA kenhale@dcalcoda.com
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 21:28:58 -0700

At 0930 PM 10/18/1998 -0500, you wrote

Hi,

I tuned a funky Zimmerman Grand, one that I have tuned before and always
left feeling glad to be out of the house-}

A few days later, she called saying that there was a note that sounded very
off. I went out, prepared to hear just about anything because this piano
fluctuates quite a bit, probably due to weather and bad design.

>first.  She was playing both keys - E and F together and assuming that they
>(a minor 2nd) would sound "in tune" or sound great to her ear.

>YYEEEEEEEEOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Y...E...O...W...!! is what I said when her boyfriend played a minor 6th, E4
- C5, and to confirm that something was wrong on more than one note, he
played the E5 - C6, saying that it did not sound as pretty as the other notes.

After I picked up my tongue, like Jim Carey in The Mask, I launched into a
kind explanation of intervals and such.

I think he bought it and I left, talking to myself in the car and shaking
my head. I now wish I had waited until I had turned off his street because
his neighbors probably asked about that guy shaking his head and talking,
alone in his car.-}

I actually think they remain my clients because she called a few months
later for some advise about her mother's piano.

Ken Hale

D C AL CODA
YourTraySpell Words Suite
http://www.dcalcoda.com/