Sun and Pianos

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 09:17:20 EDT

<< ed zubrow wrote:

 > Having finally purchased a new piano (I decided on a Yamaha C-3) I now
 > confront the problem that it is placed in front of a large window that gets
 > direct morning sun (The only available space in the house). Worse, the
 > window currently has no curtains or shades.  I know sun is bad for pianos,
 > so I'm keeping it covered with a sheet during the morning hours.
 >
 > I heard about a product which can block 99% of the sun's UV rays. Has
 > anyone had experience with this? If so, would it be sufficient to protect
 > the piano? I'd appreciate hearing (privately or on the list) about
 > experiences members have had servicing pianos that are exposed to sun and
 > ways to protect them as well. Thank you.
 >
 > Ed

Keeping the piano covered by a sheet only protects the finish. It does nothing
to protect the variations in hear during the day and night. I would recommend
you buy sheers for the window, or better yet, curtains. If you don't want to
do that, 3M does make a plastic coating that can be applied to the window that
will keep out (according to them) up to 90% of the UV rays. This will protect
the finish and it will reduce the amount of heat transferred by the sun. The
main draw back is this stuff is very expensive. Call your friendly 3M dealer
in your town, and ask about it. (Look under windows is your YP.)

Willem Blees