Query Help

Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:09:16 -0700

Sure.  Depending on the specific piano design these notes would typically be
just above the bass/tenor break.  The problem is that many 'modern' scales are
actually archaic designs utilizing bridges that foreshorten the string
progression through this area.  This results in either very large diameters of
plain steel wires being used to attempt to maintain a somewhat uniform string
tension -- often impossible to achieve with practical wire diameters -- or
simply allowing the tension to dump.  Coupled with the often unsupported end of
the tenor bridge this type of sound is inevitable.

In some cases It can be partially fixed by rescaling the low tenor section and
replacing the first few plain steel tri-chords with bi-chord wrapped strings.
For the most part it is simply ignored.

This type of sound is found not only in 15 - 20 thousand dollar pianos, it is
sadly still found in 30 - 40 thousand dollar pianos.  The frustrating part is
that it is completely avoidable through proper bridge and string scale design.

You can tell your correspondent that the salespeople he is talking to probably
really don't hear what he is referring to.  Piano knowledge and the ability to
hear and evaluate piano tone and piano performance are not exactly prerequisites
for hiring today's piano salespeople.  If they can qualify a customer and close
a sale they're hired.  There are, of course, exceptions.  And when you find one
you should do everything possible to support him or her.

Del