SATII use

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:19:06 -0500 (CDT)

Karen,

   Below is Jim Coleman's method mentioned by Frank.

Avery

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 14:05:54 -0700 (MST)
From: "Jim Coleman, Sr." <pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Acrosonic temperament tips w/ SAT Needed.

Appendix C on page 42 of the SAT owners manual was written for just such
a tuning as you mentioned needing for the Acrosonic.

It involves setting up two FAC tunings on two pages of memory. On page 1,
the F3 is measured in the normal manner. F3 is a wound string. On page 2
the note G3 is measured and stored as though it were F3 (ie after getting
the number change the note back to F6 before storing). Tune all of the
plain wired notes with page 2 and tune all of the wound string notes
using page 1.

Since the value of the stretch as measured on G3 is usually around 25.3
cents, but the SAT truncates this to 20 cents, it is necessary to also
vary the lowest few notes of the plain strings in a progressively flat
direction from A#3 down to G3.

Likewise, it is helpful to raise the highest wound string notes
progressively from around C#3 to F#3. This will help to keep the beats of
the major 3rds more in line. However, this will be at the expense of
creating more variation in the beats of the minor 3rds. Well, you can't
have everything. But the octaves, 4ths and 5ths will also be better.

If you have difficulty figuring out what I have just tried to explain,
write me privately and I will give you some specific figures for each of
the notes in that area along with FAC stretch numbers.

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS If you should decide to use the old F4 stretch number, it is still
   helpful to alter the highest wound strings and the lowest plain strings
   as I have mentioned above. You will find however that the
   variations will need to be greater.    JWC

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893