state of the industry

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:39:20 EDT

<< This would have been the view of piano makers in 1798 too, and the
 industry throughout the 19th Century. The idea of repairing an old piano at
 great expense would have been laughed at, just as would the idea of
 making a piano that was not up-to-date (such as "some" people do nowadays).
 Consumers wanted the best and most current newest piano they could get
 and mucking around with an old one would have been considered slumming,
 as well as being bad for the piano business.  >>

Stephen:

With all due respect for someone who has made an art out of restoring pianos
of historical significance, as you might have read at the beginning of my
post, I said, "with few exceptions".  Granted there are pianos that are worth
restoring, just as there are cars, buildings, trains, etc, that have
historical value. For those, I would make the exception. But you've got to
admit, there is a lot of junk out there, that should never have been made in
the first place, that deserves a decent burial.

Wim