state of the industry

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:43:45 EDT

<< Hmm,  this question is just begging to be asked.  Would the new piano he
 could buy for $11,000 be superior to his restored Bush and Gerts? Never mind
 the sentimental value for now.

Dollar for dollar, the restored Bush & Gerts would be worth about $5,000,
maybe $6,000 in my store. Would the restored B&G be as good as a new $11,000?
Good question. I told the customer he would be very happy with the restored
piano,and his hiers would still be enjoying it 100 years from now.

 Wim again:
 >Please, don't
 >encourage customers to spend money on older pianos. Instead, encourage them
 >buy a new piano, or a newer used piano.

      As one that makes his living working on older pianos, I fell this is far
 too broad a suggestion.  Perhaps narrowing it down to "encouraging customers
 to get rid of junk and get something usable when their cheap instrument is
 totally worn out"?.
       I encourage the restoration of older instruments when the result will
be
 comparable with new, and I think many of the older grands have the capacity
 rebuilt several times, at least.
 Regards,
 Ed Foote  >>

As I just wrote Stephen, there are exceptions. The original quality of the
piano needs to be taken into consideration before spending the big bucks
fixing up the ol'e clunker.

Wim