Not Off Topic

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 22:17:54 -0600

List--from Sy Zabrocki
This week a new gas line was laid in our alley. Now, one by one they are
hooking each business and home to the line. They used a yellow PVC type
plastic pipe for this project. This took place right at the back door of my
shop so I visted with the guys. I asked them if they believed this pipe
would last at least 50 years. They believe it could last as long as 500
years. It's been said even a plastic milk carton could lay in a landfill
for 100 years. This summer there has been huge stacks of large plastic pipe
around town used for sewer and water lines.

So is this off topic? What's all this have to do with pianos?

Why is the piano industry to reluctant to used PVC of ABS Styrene? Only
Kawai has been brave enough to use this material seriously. I commend Kawai
for pushing on with this technology almost by themselves. On page 15 of an
early Kawai service manual it states Kawai has used ABS Styran flanges
since serial number 395000. (Jim Harvey--are you lurking? You know about
this manual.) According to the Atlas this would be since 1969. Wouldn't 29
years years be enough time to remove doubt to some degree?

I have sold and serviced Kawai pianos since 1981. I just can not find
anything negative about this material. Lately most Kawai grand and upright
actions components are all ABS. All shanks are still made of wood. It's
likely ABS shanks would flex some and maybe that's why they continue with
wood. Block type componets such as jacks, butts, whippens, damper levers
etc. are not likely to flex. I've tuned a few Kawai's and wasn't even aware
of the all plastic parts and never noticed anything negative.

Sales people have made snide remarks about plastic ( I hate that word) for
years Who knows how many sales Kawai lost over this issue.

Sometimes I think there are only two reasons why ABS hasn't caught on.

No. 1--Steinway hasn't the courage to use it.
No. 2--Steinway hasn't the courage to use it.

Kawai makes the Boston for Steinway but they request Kawai use wood for the
Boston. How sad. They probably don't want to be caught on the sales floor
with plastic. Are we and they going to steep in tradition until their name
fades into oblivion? I too like Steinway but I'm sorry, it seems they have
a strangle hold on the industry.

The new Kawai ABS action is a sight to behold. Every componets is exactly
straight and in line. No tilting whippens, no tilting jacks, no warping, no
shrinkage, no sliding center pins. It's early to know but I believe there
will be less regulating because the material is stable.

Well I can't go on all night. What the heck to the rest of think about this
topic?

Sy Zabrocki