Not Off Topic

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 08:22:41 -0500 (CDT)

------------
>Sales people have made snide remarks about plastic ( I hate that word) for
>years Who knows how many sales Kawai lost over this issue.
>
>Sometimes I think there are only two reasons why ABS hasn't caught on.
>
>No. 1--Steinway hasn't the courage to use it.
>No. 2--Steinway hasn't the courage to use it.

* Bingo. Be very careful here. Making a reasonable, technically valid,
rational, logical, and/or conceptually supportable negative statement about
Steinway is nearly universally contrary to popular opinion and will, for
reasons I really don't fully understand, trigger a witch hunt with you as
the guest of honor.

>Kawai makes the Boston for Steinway but they request Kawai use wood for the
>Boston. How sad. They probably don't want to be caught on the sales floor
>with plastic. Are we and they going to steep in tradition until their name
>fades into oblivion? I too like Steinway but I'm sorry, it seems they have
>a strangle hold on the industry.
>
>The new Kawai ABS action is a sight to behold. Every componets is exactly
>straight and in line. No tilting whippens, no tilting jacks, no warping, no
>shrinkage, no sliding center pins. It's early to know but I believe there
>will be less regulating because the material is stable.
>
>Well I can't go on all night. What the heck to the rest of think about this
>topic?
>
>Sy Zabrocki

* This is just one of many (many(many(many))) instances where public opinion
is out to lunch. Sales people can extoll the virtues of their own product's
sometimes arbitrarily dimensioned wooden parts as if the trees involved died
for a worthy cause while they wrinkle up their collective noses at the
'plastic' parts the 'other' company uses. "They aren't like us, you know."
This works because it plays to public opinion, which is an idiot.

In short, I think you're right. Those 'plastic' parts will outlast the rest
of the piano and pianos are immortal. Ask anyone.

 Ron