Yamaha grands

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:53:33 -0500 (CDT)

At 11:20 PM 10/21/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Why do the smaller Yamaha grands always tend to have zinging overtones in
>the lower treble sections.For one customer I've weaved some bushing cloth
>in the area between the bead and the V bar. I've also sanded the V bar with
>some emory cloth.Now again for another customer the problem is recurring.
>Is the plate too high at the tail end? My customer notices it and some
>strategy of resolution will be necessary.

To whom???

Sounds like a front duplex problem. The bearing angle isn't steep enough off
the v bar and string energy is bleeding through and wasting itself in the
duplex in the form of zings, shrieks, squalls, and whistles. Braiding it off
kills it best, at the cost of overall sound volume, but you don't have a lot
of other options in the field. It's a little prohibitive to try to redesign
and modify the plate in the customer's living room. Check the archives for a
rather extensive discussion on this subject earlier this year. Don't bother
with trying to voice it away, it isn't really a hammer problem and you'll
likely do more damage than good.

 Ron