Sow's ear

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:43:38 -0700

Del wrote:  >>>Unlike the violin, the piano is still a work in progress.  At least it should be.<<<
For the record, the violin is a work in progress, too, although like the piano is bound up in tradition.  Consider the many eccentric designs by Chanon, or the contemporary maker David Rivinius' Pellegrino viola, or Ithaca's electric violins, not to mention the Yamaha silent violin, and the many midi etc fiddles out there in increasing numbers.   There will probably always be a place for tradition running alongside the new and experimental.  Always has been. The innovations of merit remain, the rest are consigned to oblivion, until some later innovator rediscovers them.  Wierd, too, that for all of the creative folk in music-making, that we musicians can be so damned tradition bound.
I am beginning to regret the "sow's ear" metaphor.  Jeez, guys.
Steve