Not Off Topic

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:42:50 -0700

Sy Zabrocki wrote:

> Why is the piano industry to reluctant to used PVC of ABS Styrene? Only
> Kawai has been brave enough to use this material seriously. I commend Kawai
> for pushing on with this technology almost by themselves.  No tilting whippens, no
> tilting jacks, no warping, no shrinkage, no sliding center pins. It's early to
> know but I believe there will be less regulating because the material is stable.

Isn't it interesting how America has this stunning love affair with
plasic in all other forms of technology except pianos? Unless there is a
generous amount of shiney plastic with lots of LEDs glowing in the
background it's almost impossible to get the public to buy computers,
cars, radios, electric dish washers. Remeber when drum kits used to look
like they were made of wood? They still are but you would never know it
by looking at them today would you?  If I remember my reading correctly,
(correct me if I'm wrong), but when piano builders realized that iron
was the ultimate answer to make a piano stay in tune for more than
twenty minutes they were still reluctant to use it for many years
because the **public** beleived that iron didn't have a place in musical
instruments.

Rob Goodale, RPT