Business Software Responses (off topic)

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 01:51:30 -0600

> At 06:40 PM 10/25/98 EST, Ed wrote:
 The Pianotech mailing list is a forum for
> >professional piano tehnicians.  As stated by others... there are other
lists
> >for the piano enthusiast.
> >
> >Ed Tomlinson
>
> Ed, I know what you mean, but this particular post was of very much
> interest to me. I'm about to buy a new computer, and I must decide what
> software to put on it for my business, since the old MsWorks file in
> Windows 3.1 just won't be adequate.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Susan

Yes this is a list for piano technicians, and for topics of interest to
piano technicians. I have been following the software and computer threads
with interest. Piano technicians will have more and more to do with
computers. I welcome the  *ocasional*  informed and well presented posts
on computers, and also the FEW choice questions and answers regarding
software and
hardware problems.  In that regard the post of Jory Olson was of
particular interest to me. But not the second or third or fourth time. I
have never understood why in replying to a post especially a negative
reply, or the astounding revelation, "this is not the place to post this,"
 the original gets repeated when just one or two (or none) lines for
reference will do.
	We must remember that experts from other fields sometimes take an
interest in our field, (I am sure we would be surprised at who is lurking)
and there are times when we need advice from other fields, in these cases
not necessarily piano technicians.  We might need to ask welders about
mending plates, or a metalurgist why some brass rails and clips fail,
while others do not.
	To Susan and others into MSWorks, it works fine in W95 for me. I would
use the spread sheet for busness accounting, but it lacks one function
that keeps me with QuartoPro 4.0   (Yes in DOS yet)  Do any of you use the
function DSUM .  Is it only in QPro?  Does the full blown Microsoft Office
97 or Excel 97  have this function?  Can you search for data using a
criteria table and output block, or does it have to be in data base form?
	DSUM by using a criteria table takes data from any number of designated
cells and puts a running total  into the cell the formula is written in .
	Anyone use the Word Perfect Suit that has QuatroPro?

Richard Moody