Baldwin D

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 19:02:11 +0000

My local concert organization bought a 1958 Baldwin D for
$12,500.  We needed to replace the bass strings and will need
hammers down the road but we thought we got a pretty good deal
here in California.  I would hazard that the high teens would be
a fair price for your much newer instrument.  Remember it is
much harder to move a concert grand than a small grand.  The
market is a lot smaller.  Hold out for a good price!

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacfica, CA

> Date:          Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:36:52 -0600 (CST)
> From:          Avery Todd <atodd@UH.EDU>
> Subject:       Baldwin D
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Cc:            caut@ptg.org

> List,
>
>    Here we go again with the price thing. Sorry. But the reason I'm asking
> is that I'm considering trying to get the music dept. to buy this 1972
> Baldwin D that is going to be coming up for sale by an individual. We still
> need another 9' to put in a large rehearsal room for concerto rehearsals,
> etc. I've had to move one in twice this semester already. Even a 7' doesn't
> really have enough power against a full orchestra.
>    I brought the action in today to do some reconditioning and will be
> doing regulating and voicing. The piano is in excellent shape physically
> and has had relatively light use for its age. The knuckles and backchecks
> are not really worn much and the hammers are not badly gooved. The feel is
> a 'little' heavy but there is also a good bit of friction in the pinning
> (which I will also be doing). It also has a tremendous bass! I did a quick
> pitch raise tuning today and the pins feel fine. For this purpose, it seems
> to me to be an ideal solution to our need "IF" I can get them to let loose
> of the money. :-)
>    I just talked to the dealer here and he said that a new one 'can' be
> bought for app. $45,000 so a decent price for this one would probably be in
> the $20-$25,000 range. He wants to 'downsize', so I might even be able to
> get it cheaper. I imagine he's going to have trouble selling it, so he might
> be more than willing to come down some just to get it sold.
>    Does this sound about right to those of you more involved in piano sales
> than I am? Any comments/opinions welcome. Thanks.
>
> Avery
>
> ___________________________
> Avery Todd, RPT
> Moores School of Music