Lid replacement

PNOTNR@AOL.COM PNOTNR@AOL.COM
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:12:00 EST

<< OK, list, how do you do this?  I have to replace a grand lid on a YC
 piano that has been damaged.  How do you transfer the respective hinges
 and lid alignment post from one lid ( the damaged one ) to the new one so
 that everything lines up as per new?  BTW the lid section that is being
 replaced is the larger of the two ( not the rectangular piece )  Looking
 for any and all suggestions, advice, (other than let someone else face
 the headache).  Thanks in advance.

                     John R. Fortiner >>

If the new piece is identical to the original, I would think you could treat
this job like recapping a bridge- make a paper or mylar pattern of the old
straight side hinge location, index it from the corners, then transfer that to
the new piece.

A low-tech method might be position the hinges on the rim with carpet tape on
the lid portion of the hinge.  Then position the lid on the case, the tape
will stick to the lid, pull out the hinge pins, and that should allow you to
locate the screw holes.

For the continuous hinge, I would place the rectangular portion on top of the
wing shaped piece, and that should locate the screw holes.  I would drill a
couple screw holes, (insert the two screws) and check the alignment before
drilling the rest.

Does that help?

Gordon Large, RPT
Mt. Vernon, ME