Lid replacement

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:25:07 -0700

John R Fortiner wrote:

> OK, list, how do you do this?  I have to replace a grand lid on a YC
> piano that has been damaged.  How do you transfer the respective hinges
> and lid alignment post from one lid ( the damaged one ) to the new one so
> that everything lines up as per new?  BTW the lid section that is being
> replaced is the larger of the two ( not the rectangular piece )  Looking
> for any and all suggestions, advice, (other than let someone else face
> the headache).  Thanks in advance.

Ok, here goes,

Take some masking tape and place it smoothly along the bottom outer
edges of the new lid. Use some helpers to place the lid on the piano in
the EXACT position that you want it to be. Trace this position onto the
masking tape with a pencil. Next remove the lid and insert a pencil,
marker, what ever will reliably fit, into the guide pin hole in the
piano. You could also use some sort of pointed awl. It must fit
centered, strait, and reliably. Once again place the lid on the piano,
this time using your marked lines as your guide. CARFULLY align the
marker in the guide-pin hole to the position where it should mate with
the lid and allow it to mark the spot on the tape.  Remove the lid and
install the guide pin. Next place the lid back onto the piano. If you
did the above correctly the lid should be in the proper postion with the
pin now in place.  Now you can mark the location of your hinges
reliably.  Install the mating half of the hinges WITH the pins
installed. From there you can trace the position once again on your
masking tape. Remove the lid, install the hinges as per your markings,
and if all is right with the world it should line up percectly.

Good Luck!!!

Rob Goodale, RPT