Lid replacement

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 19:37:33 EST

<< OK, list, how do you do this?  I have to replace a grand lid on a YC
 piano that has been damaged.  How do you transfer the respective hinges
 and lid alignment post from one lid ( the damaged one ) to the new one so
 that everything lines up as per new?  BTW the lid section that is being
 replaced is the larger of the two ( not the rectangular piece )  Looking
 for any and all suggestions, advice, (other than let someone else face
 the headache).  Thanks in advance.

                     John R. Fortiner >>

It's amazing how these things come up. Would you beleive I just did exactly
what you are asking this morning on a new Weber grand.

The first thing you want to do is attach both front and back sections of the
top lid. Next, put on the front log. Take carefull measurements from the old
lid, and put it exactly where it belongs. (make  a note of where the log was
in relation to the piano with the old lid). If there is a log on the big lid,
you want to attach it also. Remove the hinges from the old lid, and attach
them to the piano hinges with the hinge pins. Now put the new lid on the
piano, and align the log where it is suppose to be. You need to make a mark as
to where the hinge will attach to the top lid. I had a white piano to deal
with, but if you have a black piano, it might be a little more difficult. I
used a pen to outline where the hinge is suppose to be. You might want to use
masking tape. When you have that done, take the new lid off, and line up the
hinge where you made your markings. To be on the safe side, drill one hole,
attached the hinge to the lid, and then put the lid back on the piano, put in
the hinge pins,and make sure the log is still in the right place. If you did
everything right, take the lid down, and drill the rest of the holes for the
hinge, and put in the screws.

When this is done, put the lid back on the piano, put in the hinge pins, find
out where the lid prop circles, the lid guide, and the rubber buttons are
suppsoed to be,  and drill the holes accordingly.

It took me about 2 hours to do this. Unless you have  a strong back and arms,
it will be much easier to do this job with a helper. My customer was a stong
man, and he helped me, but the lady of the house could help by holding the
treble end of the lid, while you put the hinges together. I laid a blanket on
the floor and did the work on the floor.

Good luck

Willem Blees
St. Louis