"the piano tuner never shows up..."

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 22:27:08 -0700 (MST)

Hi Jay:

There have been times when I didn't show up. This last week Mrs. Campbell
called saying that it had been awhile since I last tuned her piano, but
could I come this week. I said yes and placed her name on my appointment
book. On the appointed day, I turned on the computer to pre-print my bill
sheet and piano history. I went to an emergency recording studio tuning
and called to let her know I would be 15 minutes late. When she answered,
she said I did not have an appointment with her that day. Well, it turned
out that the Mrs Campbell who had called me was an older customer that
had been removed from my computer. My card records showed that I had last
tuned for her in '91 (after 5 years, I purge inactive customers from the
computer). All I could do was go home and wait for her call wondering if
I had difficulty trying to get there. When she called (about 1/2 hour after
the sceduled appointment) asking if I were coming, I had to explain my
error.

Normally, when someone calls who is a regular customer, I ask them if
they still live in my little town (I restrict my service to the city
limits, pop. 130,000) and if there phone number is still the same. This
way I can get back to them if anything disturbs our schedule.
I failed to do that in this case and it cost me some wasted time. Sometimes
a customer has moved since the last service, so it is good to at least
confirm the ph. number and address when you depend upon a computer
database. I guess I'm still a slow learner.

On some occasions I have arrived a day earlier than what the customer
thought was our appointment day. Sometimes it was their mistake, sometimes
it was mine.

Sometimes we older technicians spread ourselves too thin. Pressure can build
especially if we have promised delivery on a rebuild job and one other
little thing crops up on the job that we just can't let go out like that.
This may require rescheduling (not a good habitual practice).

Jim Coleman, Sr.