Strips or wedges

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 00:58:04 EST

In a message dated 10/27/98 9:14:30 AM Central Standard Time,
jhunt@geocities.com writes:

<<  I usually find that when I'm doing a pitch raise, I can't use a strip, at
least
 not in the tenor (haven't tried in the bass), because the outside strings
bleed
 through enough that I can't hear the beats clearly.  So I juggle wedges in
the
 tenor, and usually the strip does a good enough job of muting in the treble.
Is
 there some tip or technique that I don't know about in using a strip mute in
the
 tenor/bass?

 It just occurred to me, you probably are using an SAT, whereas I do pitch
raises
 aurally.  Still, I would appreciate any tips.

 Thanks

Your muting strip material may be too thin.  Many people who always use strip
mutes do not use the strip of felt sold by the supply houses as a muting
strip.  They either use a wider, thicker piece of felt such as some belly felt
or they use action cloth as I do.

The action cloth will be a little stiff at first but once it's broken in, it
can last a good 2 years.  When it starts to get thin and threadbare however,
you can start to have the problem you cite.  It can also slip out to easily
when it is too thin and limber.

It is interesting to note that some very excellent technicians can do a
muteless pitch raise.  Thus is far beyond what I can stand to hear and sort
out but I do personally know people who can.  During a pitch raise, you are
really doing a "rough" tuning.  If you are raising the pitch a gross amount
such as a half step, you probably will hear some "funny" sounds that you won't
hear in a fine tuning unless you have the strings very well and thoroughly
muted the way they do in the PTG RPT Tuning Exam.

  You just need to learn to ignore the sounds which are out of your control
and concentrate on the pitches you are changing.  In a grand, You can double
mute the low tenor and bass sections.  I often do, especially during a major
pitch raise for the very reason you have brought up.  It takes only another 15
seconds or so to double mute.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin