CP80s Yamaha

Elian Degen degen@telcel.net.ve
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:02:27 -0400

Jim, and List

I am presently servicing several CPīs  (70īs and 80īs), they are very
popular between musical groups for playing on stage. I have not voiced any
yet. The ones I service, (about eight) once the the action is regulated
sound very even. I did have problems with one of them with several pick up
coils in the treble part, but it was not the Yamahaīs fault, but it seemed
someone spilled something and corroeded it out (they used to play with the
lid off)

Since I have been servicing the CPīs, I also wander, what would have
happened if Yamaha used a lower diameter in their strings. Second The lower
bass is very confuse, and very difficult to tune. I agree with you about the
sound, once it is tuned and amplified it sounds nice.

Of course it stays in tune quite well, Has a small cast iron plate, no wood
at all except for the tuning block, no wooden soundboard/bridge system which
changes with humidity,  that makes it very stable.

Now that you mention it I am also curious on the proper voicing for these
hamers, even though I never needed to for the CP. I also found some pianos
with the (correct me if I am wrong) the so called Viena action, also with
leather covered hammers. I had to partialy rebuild one several month ago.
The leather (actualy is buckskin) was in pretty good shape. I donīt know if
I did the right thing, I used a commercial leather cream, and brushed it
lightly with a stiff brush. It worked well enough, considering that the
people who has that piano almost donīt use it.

That is my comment

Elian Degen