Strips or wedges

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:13:39 -0700 (MST)

Hi Wim:

If you remember, I mentioned in one sentence that all of that applied to
a fine tuning and not a pitch raise tuning. In fine tuning, we are not
moving the pitch of the piano, and it really makes little difference where
we start and where we end. My personal feeling is that since the tenor
section of the piano is the most sensitive and may change a very slight
amount, I want the Bass to match it. So, I tune the Bass last so that it
will match the Tenor section if it has changed in the very slightest amount.

Now in pitch raising, the logic is a little different, but again the Bass
will always be more stable and will not require as much raising as the rest
of the piano. The only time we find the Bass flat to the Tenor section is
when the piano has been subjected to much higher humidity and the sensitive
Tenor section has gone sharp. Of course here, the problem is to lower the
Tenor section or if the whole piano is quite flat, then to raise the Tenor
section first.

Jim Coleman, Sr.