Strips or wedges

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:09:04 -0600 (CST)

>Hi Jim,
>I got a question for you.  I always tune the thirth octave first. Sometimes
>the fourth also to check . Then l always tune the Bass before l get further
>on with the treble. l was taught that the Bass has a bigger effect on the
>soundboard and therefore l must tune it first. lm interested to know why you
>"save the Bass for last".
>Best regards,
>
>Wim Vermeyen
>Wim's Piano Service
>Ekeren, Belgium

Sorry to butt in here, but I have also heard that moving the bass has a
bigger affect on the tuning. I just haven't found that to be the case. Did
you ever take a set of bass strings off for replacement, leaving the rest of
the piano at pitch, and check the pitch of the tenor? I didn't have a good
way to measure the last time I did this, but it didn't seem to disturb the
tuning of the rest of the piano all that much. Has anybody got numbers on this?

thanks,
 Ron