Heavy action

Mark Graham magraham@bw.edu
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 15:59:36 -0500 (EST)

I have a customer who just purchased a Young Chang. It seems pretty nice
to me. She complains that the action is heavy (previous piano was a
Baldwin console). This piano is a small grand, I'm sorry I can't remember
the model at the moment.

Downweight is about 55 grams, with variation. All aspects of regulation
seem fine. All action centers seem normal. Key bushings fine. Damper
action is nice and free. The jack-to-knuckle friction seemed excessive,
but I tefloned the knuckles and adjusted the repetition levers somewhat
and they seem normal now. I am a big guy, but I can also feel some
heaviness, now that she mentions it. She has some arthritis.

I have saved and read the recent Stanwood and everybody posts, and realize
it's not always an easy fix. But in this case I'm wondering if removing
hammer mass wouldn't be adequate. The hammers are completely untapered,
and there's lots of wood that could be removed. I have done this on other
grands with good results. Is this a reasonable diagnosis? Are there
factors I'm missing?

Thanks,
Mark Graham
Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music