Keybed Warping

RptBob1@AOL.COM RptBob1@AOL.COM
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 18:36:41 EST

<< estions:

 As stated earlier, has anyone seen this?

 Along with changing the location of the piano, will a climate control
 handle this magnitude of change "outside the cavity?"

 Any other ideas?

Cliff:

Yes. I have seen the exact same disturbances in a circa 1992 Baldwin 42"
console.  I treated it the same as you mentioned you did, and had the same
reversal the following winter.  In the past year these symptoms have not
occurred-but there is no reason to believe it could not happen again.  The
piano does not have dampchaser system and is in a large home that is heated
with Hot water radiatiors and no supplemental humidity in the winter.  I have
not recommended DC system because I frankly doubt if it would help.  Instead,
I am hoping the client will consider trading in this little troublemaker for a
more reliably-built piano. This recommendation is based on many other problems
which have also surfaced (hammer return springs are already corroding and
breaking at the coil,for one).  And on and on.

Bob Bergantino,RPT
South Euclid, Ohio