Action Geometry Correction

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 19:07:38 -0500

I'll give this a shot:
Formula for action leverage  (Baldassin/Robinson) :

(Blow Distance - Let-off / Key Dip - After Touch) =
(Key Out / Key In) (Wippen Out / Wippen In) (Shank Out / Shank In)

In English: (BD minus L/O divided by KD minus AT) = (KO divided by KI)
times . . .

cp		contact point (my abbrev.)
All measurements are taken with key at half dip.

Key Out	Bottom of keystick, center of balance rail hole to cp capstan/wippen
Key In		Bottom of keystick front to center of balance rail hole
Wippen Out	Center pin to knuckle/wippen cp
Wippen in 	Capstan/wippen cp to center pin
Shank Out	Center pin to strike point
Shank In	Center pin to knuckle/wippen cp (just forwards of core)

I haven't gotten to play with this yet, it seems to me to be a lot of
measurements
to take with great precision for the equation to balance. I would think it
is helpful
with decisions on knuckle radius, capstan placement and action spread. Or for
just chosing a Blow Distance and Key Dip.
TINTM     This is new to me  :-)   But I will investigate.

At 02:53 PM 10/29/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Should someone else have the formula (and a scanner) I would be most
>appreciative of receiving this.  I wasn't able to attend Providence but hope
>to show my funny face in Kansas City.   Action spread is usually around 4
>13/32" right?  David Stanwood has mentioned in previous classes that
>generally the spread isn't as big an issue when calculating overall
>leverage....I guess the next question would follow (maybe Jon and others can
>answer):  If the spread is greater, say 4 1/2", exactly how will this affect
>the Strike Weight Ratio?...or would the differences exist...still
>thinking....in whip ratio?...Trying to sort this out.  Can we make a
>significant difference in the leveraged system as a whole by altering the
>spread?  (There, got that out of my system).

Action spread is another area which I have misgivings. I do know that by
increasing
the spread, the capstan moves away from the fulcrum the same as the knuckle
does, so in essence maybe one cancels the other. I'm not sure. Except I know
the touch weight does not significantly change. I have utilized the spread to
better regulate actions, ei: dorp screw too high, L/O button too high:
expand the
spread and these will lower.

I would say that 4.5" is max on spread. The parts are not designed for
alignment
beyond that.

This is where the "formula" would come in handy.