"Genuine" parts

David Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:17:59 -0600

In our restoration work I think there are two issues on the parts
chosen.  If you are restoring a Steinway for a museum as an example of
the art of say the 1890s, then you should use parts from Steinway.  It
would be nice if they made vintage hammers, repetitions with no jack
placement adjustment etc. for this kind of restoration but they don't as
far as I know.

Most of us are rebuilding for maximum performance.  Much like a NASCAR
mechanic, we want the best performance regardless of the name on the
part.  Having "genuine" Ford parts on a racing Taurus means nothing if
you don't win.  Having a "genuine" label on the box means nothing if the
piano doesn't sound as good as it possibly can.

Of course on a piano that belongs to a customer, you use the parts they
want.  I did an action rebuild this summer and the customer chose parts
I didn't recomment because they wanted "genuine."  That's fine, it their
piano.  On a "B" I'm rebuilding for resale, I'm using a wide variety of
parts.

I think the sostenuto monkey is genuine tho.

dave

--

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts