Technical #4

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 13:02:54 -0600 (CST)

>Hi to all:
>
>My friend again wonders about the advantages or disadvantages of running the
>balance rail bushing cloth through the slots of the keybutton and up to the
>top surface. A cross section of the bushing area might look something like
>this:
>                                   Keybutton
>                    ___      ___ /
>                   |   |\  \|   |
>                   |___|\  \|___|
>                   \\\\\*  *\\\\\ -- The slashes represent bushing cloth
>                   |            |
>                   |            |
>                   |            |
>                   |            |
>                   |            |
>                   |            |
>                   |            |
>                   |            |
>                   --         --
>                     --   --
>                       --
>

>thanks for your input
>
>Jim Coleman, Sr.

Hi Jim's friend, via Jim,

I think that's just an artifact of a manufacturing expedient where the
buttons are bushed in gang fashion with a single strip of cloth before they
are installed on the key. I doubt any functional advantage in use. If you
were getting paid by the hour, and didn't have any real work to do to
justify your continued existence for the rest of the day, and are relatively
desperate for a source of aggravation, you might consider threading bushing
cloth through the holes and reproducing the original look when re-bushing.
Otherwise... nah.

 Ron