Technical #4

Fri, 30 Oct 1998 13:19:40 -0600

Hello Jim, Sr.,

At 10:18 10/30/98 -0700, you wrote:
>My friend again wonders about the advantages or disadvantages of running the
>balance rail bushing cloth through the slots of the keybutton and up to the
>top surface. A cross section of the bushing area might look something like
>this:

Advantages

1.	ease of manufacturing - cloth laid in glued groove and cut/clamped in
place before attaching to key

2.	fool avoidance - makes it _real_ hard to peel off one side when put in
piano by hurried and/or inexperienced key installer/tooner

Disadvantage

1.	rebushing - durn near impossible to rebush in original style without
removing buttons, but unnecessary for proper functioning, anyway. Straight
sided works just fine.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer 	hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College		(319)-387-1204
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

Music - Communication that exposes us to the work of great minds that were
dissatisfied by the limits of the spoken language - Martin Tolchin