Under Lid? back

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:23:46 -0600

It's the rubber wheel that are the culprit
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G
pianoman@inlink.com
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups and Practical Piano Peripherals in
St. Louis, MO
-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Pearson <SPearson@yamaha.com>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Friday, October 30, 1998 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: Under Lid?

>Hello Larry and list.  One is prompted to ask if this has been an ongoing
problem with other piano concertos, or did it just get noticed with the
Gershwin?  As piano tech for our local symphony a few years ago, we had a
similar experience with Loren Hollander playing Gershwin's Concerto in F.
While there were always complaints from some quarters, ie: it's too bright,
to mellow, too this, too that, I only recall the one instance when it was
deemed too soft for the orchestra.  The Gershwin was the case in point, with
its  unrelenting thick orchestration and loud dynamics.  We did hear a
noticeable improvement in carrying power once the piano was taken off the
"Y" truck and put back on its casters.  It's been on them ever since.  Just
my $.02