Strictly technical

Sat, 31 Oct 1998 14:48:50 -0800

Don wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if this is not similar to what happens when you wish to tighten a
> hammer with a wooden shank. Even though there is lots of friction, tapping
> the base of the handle works (and quite brilliantly). I also wonder if
> there is a force to one direction on the duplex bars so that when oridinary
> vibration of low frequency but large amplitude from a moving van allows
> them to shift. Do they tend to go out of tune in the *same* direction? Or
> has anyone noticed that happening.

I cannot conceive of any circumstances under which the aliquot/duplex
bars/pieces could move with the strings still in place and under tension.  While
there is friction between the string and the aliquot/duplex bar/piece, it is far
less than the friction that exists between the aliquot/duplex bar/piece and the
plate.  If the plate shifts during a move, of course, the aliquot/duplex
bars/pieces will move right along with it.

> I wonder too, that if after they were tuned a drop of thin CA glue (or
> perhaps one of the anerobric glues) might not hold them in place, yet still
> allow them to be moved later if necessary (a sharp tap would break the glue
> bond)

Since they don't move, this would have no effect other than to mess up the plate
and/or string where the glue was placed.  The so-called 'tuned aliquot' string
segments don't get in tune because of string friction through the bridge pins
and they wouldn't stay in tune because the position of the soundboard is a
moving target.

The whole issue is moot anyway since -- as long as the lengths are long enough
to not overly impede the motion of the soundboard -- tuning the back scale has
no practical effect on the performance of the piano.

Del