Single Treble Bridge

Mon, 31 Aug 1998 22:12:31 -0700

Tom Cole wrote:

> For example: How can plates be altered? I mean _significantly_. Can we
> now, with space-age materials, create a "friendlier" plate-making
> process that would enable independant rebuilders to alter speaking
> lengths and tail lengths without investing in a foundry?

We can alter speaking lengths somewhat by making new bridges.  No, it is not possible
-- realistically -- to move agraffes.  We have ground V-bars off the bottom of the
Capo d’Astro bars and replaced them with new silicon bronze castings.  We have moved
hitchpin holes.  Once I even ground off a bass section hitchpin riser and mounted a
new one in another location.  If you can charge these things off to R&D it's worth
doing.  You do reach a limit in what it is feasible to charge for, however.

> Is there
> something that would substitute for cast iron but could be cast at room
> temperature a la epoxy, he asks naively? Fiberglass doped with iron
> filings? Ferrocement? Why can't someone make altered plates as easily as
> Bob Marinelli makes keyboards to your specs?

There are no materials as yet that will allow us to do these types of things.  The
only solution that I'm aware of is to start from scratch and make a new piano.

Regards,

Del