upright pinblock replacement.

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 12:17:45 -0400

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> I prefer about 4.0 mm (approx. 0.16"), but yes, that's my point.  I like to have
> the string leaving the pin with an "up" angle of between 0.5º and 1.0º.

OK, 5/32" is good with pianos having plate bushings, but on Steinways and Mason &
Hamlins and a few others that do not have plate bushings I like to tune with less
flag polling.  On those I like 3/32" much better. A personal preference especially
on a performance piano I tune often.

> In most vertical pianos the V-bar height is "correct" when the string is
> parallel to the surface of the plate with the tuning pin driven in and with the
> string approximately 4.0 mm from the plate surface.  There are exceptions.
> Measure.  Measure.  Measure.

I assume you are referring to the pressure bar here.  Draft angles will dictate
pressure bar height.  On an S&S upright I would become extremely tired tuning such a
set up.  In this case I would like to see the bottom coil a _minimum_ of 2mm.  God I
hate bushingless uprights.

In actuality what the specs used, within reason, is less important than being
consistent as to angle, height, torque, coil tightness and neatness.  Appearance is
nice but mechanical consistency is paramount.

Have a good week et al.

        Newton