Seeburg Bridge

R. Goodale robert.goodale@nau.edu
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 14:03:34 -0600

> We are restoring a J.P. Seeburg orchestrion. The bridge is deeply notched to
> clear the tenor-treble strut. There is over .375 clearance beneath the strut.
> Would it be worthwhile to inset a piece of maple to fill part of the gap?
> Also, the non-speaking side of the bridge is not notched. Should we notch this
> side? We are replacing bridge pins but not recapping the bridge. Opinions are
> appreciated.
>
> Dale Probst
> Registered Piano Technician

COOL PROJECT!!!  Which model?  What roll type?  What are the other
instruments?

Is there any kind of chamfer or slope to the back side of the bridge to
keep the strings clear? If not I would say even though the back side was
not originally notched it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and put
them there, or at least plane off a little angle across the edge. This
will probably reduce your chances of noise. I'm very much for preserving
original design characteristics particularly on machines of this sort.
In this case, however, I think it might be an acceptable modification.

I'm not sure what to say about the plate strut notch. Is there a
reinforcement block on the back side of the board there? I suppose if it
has done well for the last 80+ years, then it's still okay now. It may
need that extra room anyway for swelling during high humidity spells.

Let us know how it turns out!

Rob Goodale, RPT, MMN, (Mechanical Music Nut)